Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child’s ability to calculate fluently, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in their everyday lives. At our school, we aim to develop strong, confident Mathematicians who are have a ‘can do’ attitude to Mathematics. We strongly believe in our unique Mastery approach we have devised to meet the specific needs of our children so that ALL children will succeed.
At Gildersome Primary School we aim to:
- promote enjoyment and enthusiasm for learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion
- promote confidence and competence with numbers and the number system
- develop the ability to solve problems through decision-making and reasoning in a range of context
- develop a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented
- explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts
- understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life
- promote a love of Mathematics!